- Make a roux with the Tourage pastry butter and the strong flour (A).
- Form the détrempe dough with the water, salt, white vinegar, softened butter and strong flour (B).
- Roll out into a sheet and turn 6 times.
- Roll out until 2mm thick.
- Chill in the refrigerator to allow the dough to rest.
- Bake for 16 minutes between two baking sheets in a convection oven at 180°C on a buttered non-stick silicone baking mat, sprinkled with brown sugar and vanilla powder.
- Cut the dough into a circle, 8cm in diameter, and continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the plate and sprinkle the pastry sheet with icing sugar, return to the oven for 5 minutes at 250°C to melt the sugar
- Bind the butter, sugar and ground almonds in a mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Gradually add the eggs and then the rum.
- Using a pastry bag, pipe a thin layer of almond cream onto the puff pastry.
- Cook for 4 minutes in a 170°C convection oven.
- In a food processor, process the vanilla pods, then add the inverted sugar and water.
- Place into a Pacojet beaker, then freeze.
- Process in the Pacojet at least 10 times.
- Make sure that the vanilla paste is always frozen at the time of mixing.
White vanilla glaze
- Mix all of the ingredients together using the paddle attachment.
- Spread a 1mm thickness between two baking sheets.
- Freeze, then cut into circles of 2cm.
- In a saucepan, boil the milk, water, inverted sugar, salt and butter.
- Add the flour.
- Dry the pastry on the heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a paddle attachment.
- Pipe choux with a No. 6 tip. Place in the freezer.
- When ready to bake, sprinkle the glaze onto the choux pastries and bake at 180°C for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 160°C and bake for 4 minutes.
Less Sweet Pastry Cream
- Soak the gelatin in cold water.
- Whisk the egg whites with the sugar, powdered cream and flour.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pods and infuse with the milk and cream.
- Strain and pour the boiling milk into the egg white mixture.
- Boil for 2 minutes, then add the cocoa butter.
- Add the softened gelatin and butter, and finally add the mascarpone.
- Mix and cool rapidly
Vanilla paste pastry cream
- Mix the pastry cream and add the vanilla paste.
- Soak the gelatin until fully melted.
- Fill the choux pastries with the cream.
- Mix the isomalt with the scraped vanilla pods.
- Cook until the mixture reaches 180°C.
- Cool and store in a dry place.
Tahitian Vanilla Chantilly Cream
- Heat 500g of cream with sugar and scraped vanilla pods.
- Do not bring to a boil.
- Add the remaining cream, mascarpone and mix together.
- Steep for 24 hours.
- Then whip.
- Pipe 25g of the vanilla paste pastry cream into the centre of the pastry sheet round.
- Place 8 choux pastries, glazed with Isomalt, around the edge of the pastry sheet.
- Pipe drops of the Vanilla Chantilly Cream, using a Chiboust tip.
- Place a choux on top.