- Mix the water, salt and vinegar together.
- Add the flour and the butter. (Don’t overmix).
- Melt the butter and add the blancmange flour to the vanilla.
- Incorporate the water dough into the butter and give it two simple turns and two double turns with a one-hour interval in between each time.
- The next day, spread thinly, detail and pinch.
- Cook for approximately 45 minutes at 180°C.
Choux (puff) dough
- Bring the water, butter and salt to a boil in a saucepan.
- The add the flour, mixing with a spatula for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and incorporate the eggs one by one until the dough is smooth.
- Pipe directly with a pastry piping bag on a silicone sheet (or a baking sheet) and place on a baking tray.
- Then put in the oven at 160-170°C for 30 to 35 minutes (adjust cooking depending upon the oven).
- Soak the gelatine in the cold water.
- Make a caramel with the sugar. Add the heated cream.
- Add the butter, the fleur de sel (French sea salt) and the gelatine.
- Mix everything for a homogenous consistency.
- Pour the caramel on the pre-mixed mascarpone.
- Leave to cool in the refrigerator (+4°C).
- Progressively loosen the mascarpone with the cream by using a spatula, incorporate the sugar and the vanilla beans (scrape the pod).
- Let it infuse for 24 hours, strain and then beat.
- Heat the fondant and the glucose in a saucepan and cook until a caramel colour is obtained.
- Turn on onto a sheet of bakingpaper, then let cool.
- Break into small pieces and then pass through the grinder for a very fine powder.
- Put into the oven (170°C) for a few seconds (approximately 30-40) so that the powder melts and sticks.
Making the éclair
- Cut out a rectangle of puff pastry, cut the shell of the choux pastry 2/3rds of the way with a serrated knife.
- Garnish the bottom of the shell with the crème caramel and place on the rectangle of puff pastry (adhere with a little cream) and set the vanilla cream over the crème caramel (with a Saint-Honoré piping tip), then place the caramel decoration on the cream.
- Put in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.