Gula melaka & coconut Saint Honoré
Saint Honoré gula melaka & coco
Onde Onderecipe from chef Frédéric Oger
- Puff Pastry
- 250g flour
- 5g salt
- 50g melted butter
- 100ml water
- 100g powdered sugar
- 187.5g butter, to be cut into the pastry
- Choux pastry
- 125ml milk
- 125ml water
- 125g butter
- 5g sugar
- 5g salt
- 250g eggs
- 163g flour
- Gula Melaka Chantilly Cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 3g coconut extract
- 40g Gula Melaka
- 500g cream
- Coconut Crème Chiboust
- 250g coconut purée
- 40g sugar
- 80g egg yolks
- 20g corn starch
- 6g gelatin powder
- 20g Pandan extract
- 120g egg whites
- 200g sugar
- Gula Melaka Jelly
- 150g Gula Melaka
- 100ml water
- 15g glucose
- 100g coconut purée
- 8g gelatin leaves
- Caramel Topping
- 450g sugar
- 150g water
- 2g salt
- 45g butter
- Mix flour, salt, melted butter and water.
- Then roll the dough into a rectangle and place the butter in the centre and turn.
- Turn the dough every 2 hours for a total of 6 times.
- Let it rest in the refrigerator for half a day and then roll out.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar, cover with a sheet of baking paper and bake between two baking sheets.
- Bake at 160°C for 50 min to 1 hour.
- Boil the milk, water, butter, sugar and salt.
- Add the flour and cook until the mixture pulls away from sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once the mixture is at room temperature, add the eggs one by one.
- Pipe the dough in choux and bake at 160 ° C for 1 h, watching carefully
Coconut Crème Chiboust
This cream should be used immediately after preparation.
- This cream should be used immediately after preparation.
- Create a custard and add the gelatin when the custard is hot.
- Prepare an Italian meringue with the egg whites and the sugar syrup. Both preparations must be made simultaneously, so that they can be whisked together.
Gula Melaka Jelly
- In a saucepan, combine the Gula Melaka, water and glucose.
- Cook until the liquidhas evaporated. Carefully add the cream and bring to a boil.
- Add the gelatin. Strain, then pour the mixture into individual jelly moulds.
- Allow to cool for at least 3 hours.
- Unmould just before serving. Boil the sugar, water and salt to 185 ° C to create a caramel.
- Add the butter. Pour the icing over the choux.
- Boil the sugar, water and salt to 185 ° C to create a caramel.
- Add the butter.
- Pour the icing over the choux.
- Spoon the Gula Melaka Jelly onto the frozen puff pastry, then layer on the Coconut Crème Chiboust.
- Garnish with choux filled with the Chiboust cream.
- Arrange the choux along the edges of the garnished puff pastry.
- Top with the Crème Chiboust.
- Finish with white chocolate disks and coconut shavings.
FRÉDERIC OGER left his native Loire Valley many years ago. Preferring to travel, he spent some time in the Maldives and the Middle East where he worked as a pastry chef in various 5-star hotels and resorts (the Hilton and Rotana Group). He then taught the art of pastry making in Malaysia at the Academy of Pastry Arts before finally opening his own pastry school: the Pastry Institute of St Honoré.